Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A letter to my thesis

Dear Thesis,

I'm going to be very honest with you. A part of me doesn't want to call you 'dear'. I want to declare you my enemy. I may even want to see unkind things done to you. (I'll even confess that the phrase that immediately popped into mind was 'shank you and dance in your blood', and I imagined that blood resembling ink. Awkward? Yes. Morbid? Yes. Sorry. But I'm being honest.) That part of me wants to battle it out, and after much pain, sweat, blood and tears, be declared the conquerer.

But still, I did start this letter with 'dear', because I believe that we needn't be adversarial. And really, I am the one who has created this imagined war. You have never done anything to trespass against me. True, your existence does prove to be a bit of a nuisance and is a current roadblock between me and graduation, but perhaps I can come to see you more as stepping stone than as the stumbling block I've made you out to be.

So here is my proposition: I will try to see you as a friend rather than a foe. I will try to look forward to our lengthy daily rendezvous rather that fear them. Maybe we can go on a picnic together. Maybe we can listen to music together. We can bounce ideas off of each other and facilitate the growth of the other. And then, perhaps, when it comes time to part, perhaps I can do so with a touch of tenderness. And so, with some trepidation, I look forward to our time together and hope that I can come to love you and that we can both be formative in each other's development. I'm sorry for having wished that you'd be shanked. It wasn't personal. It's not you; it's me. And I'm trying to change. So let's be friends.

Best regards,
Allison

2 comments:

Marietta said...

Wow you really said it all. That my friend is exactly how I feel too!.

Aspen said...

EXCELLENT :)