Thursday, September 9, 2010

Feeling competent

So...I'm kinda considering going on and getting a PhD after I graduate next year. I'm pretty much resolved to at least apply to three schools and see what happens. I'm not 100% committed to it, but it is an idea that holds a lot of appeal. And so lately I've started asking faculty and other respected professionals if they think I would be a good candidate and if they would be willing and able to write me a good letter of recommendation. I approached one faculty member who has a bit of reputation for refusing to write letters of recommendation and asked him what he thought about the idea of me pursuing a PhD. The response I received gave gave me a lot more courage to pursue the idea. The reply: An enthusiastic, "I would chair you." Whoa. Wasn't expecting that. I hadn't considered the option either. Especially since I'm thinking more towards out-of-state schools, granted, I do plan to put in an application at BYU. And this professor would be a good fit for me. I asked if he had any experience in qualitative research (I would want my dissertation to involve interviewing sample and using grounded theory), and learned that he had a good amount of experience and a lot of interest in qualitative research. So basically, I feel a lot more confident that a PhD is a real option. And I'm worried that BYU is looking like an appealing option.

4 comments:

C Tam said...

That is exciting. Though of course, it isn't recommended to get all your degrees at the same university. Anyway, good luck to you!

Andrea said...

What happened to the Allison who can't pin down a major that I knew? =)

My two cents: You might as well do it. The job market out there is not the hottest thing (as you may have heard, heh)and hopefully (*crossing fingers*) it will be stronger by the time you finish up the PhD. Also, I'm totally calling you Dr. Allison when/if you're done.

Scott and Emily said...

Cool.

Isn't it discouraged to get all of your degrees from the same university?

Receli said...

We can ALL stay forever!!!