The other day, while walking down the hall after a session, my client addressed me by name in order to have my attention secured before asking me a question. Being somewhat caught off guard, my acknowledgement of being spoken to ended up being less than professional. I automatically responded with a single word: "Yo."
It then occurred to me that having such casual patterns of thought so instinctively ingrained in my mind might undermine some basic standards of professionalism that I would care to guard. Accordingly, I have determined to attempt shifting the caliber of my inner dialog. I determined that it might be profitable to procure and read the literary works of Jane Austen, recollecting that when I read Pride and Prejudice roughly three years and two months prior, that my inner dialog became exceedingly refined and thoroughly enjoyable.
Consequently, I went out and acquired (through payment, not thievery) all six of her novels and am determined to read them all. Thus far I have read Persuasion and am now engaged in reading Mansfield Park. I'm still not sure what the Jane Austen equivalent of "yo" would be, but I remain resolute in my determination to find out.
3 comments:
It's working. I can feel the shift in your language already.
You always seem to have such noble endeavors at self-improvement. Very prosocial of you.
I think it would be "Sir?" or "Madam?" or ...ya know, something like that.
that's cute.
Post a Comment