So, pretty much my favorite thing in the world is meeting needs. This is why I love my job at the residential treatment center in Spanish Fork. This is why I love my calling doing Enrichment stuff. And its why I love being a friend and being with people. Work was really rewarding tonight. I felt like I was able to meet needs, in at least some small ways with some of the girls. I was able to make someone feel valued, I was able to engage someone in conversation and make her smile, I was able to listen, I was about to sit beside someone and scratch their back while there were struggling, I was able to give a compliment that made someone feel good. Most of the regrets that I incur each day, are for missed opportunities to meet needs or for my inability to observe and identify them. I'm trying to learn to live above those regrets.
On another note, I don't always say or do the right things amidst my good intentions. At work I gave a girl a compliment, telling her I considered her to be very intelligent and interesting and that I had enjoyed talking with her that day. I wanted to built her up. Later, at an appropriate time and in an appropriate way, a co-worker talked to me about why such a compliment was probably not the most helpful feedback to give. And he explained some things and gave advice on what might be more beneficial to her progress. I had given the compliment in a community setting, a forum for sharing that is regularly conducted. Every weekday evening I have sat around the table with opportunities to share feedback or give compliments, but never before had. So I was consciously stretching beyond my comfort zone to do so. So I could have easily felt regret that it seemingly backfired. But I realized something. By trying I made a mistake. And my making a mistake I learned a better way of doing things. And in the way that i learned that better way, I also gained a desire to do things right. So yay for mistakes as catalysts to positive change and growth and learning.
I love my job. I do not love the sound of buzzing insects and flies. There is currently a fly buzzing about the living room. The Jain in me doesn't want to hurt it. Another part of me does. But I expect that the fly will not be silenced by me tonight. Anyway, life is good.
1 comment:
J.K. Rowling gave the commencement address at Harvard this year and spoke about failure and imagination. I think you'd like it: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91232541.
The text of the whole speech is there if you scroll down the page.
That's great that you found that job at the treatment facility. I have a few friends that have worked there before. It's too bad I couldn't make it to Ashley's India dinner. It would have been nice to catch up with everyone. Unfortunately, the weekend was like one of those rolling snow balls of stress. But now that you are an all-star therapist perhaps I should have gone and talked to you?
Keep on smiling! I still owe you one for killing all of those spiders.
Post a Comment