Monday, April 7, 2014

Twitter

I'm trying to find ways that I can use social media in constructive ways.  In recent years, I have moved away from being too visible on social media.  My blog posting has slowed considerably, my facebook statuses are only updated a few times I year, and I don't post pictures of myself.  I'm largely exercising caution, and seeking to minimize giving my private life public exposure.  It makes me somewhat uncomfortable to think that other people, through their posting pictures and comments with tags, are disseminating information about me to hundreds of people, many of who I do not know.  And while I don't particularly have anything to hide, I don't believe it is prudent to share unnecessary things widely.  But I digress...

I want to find a way to be able to be an influence for good through social media.  I want to share ideas.  I want to share things that inspire.  I also know that someday soon I will want to be able to use social media to establish a brand and market myself in my profession.  Accordingly, over the weekend I decided to start a twitter account with the expectation of using it regularly.  I'll also probably be somewhat more regular in posting on this blog.  

But here's the thing.  I don't really know the culture of twitter.  What is appropriate to post?  How do I determine who to follow?  How often should I post?  Am I supposed to comment on and favorite other posts freely?  If anyone who reads this is twitter-savvy, I'd love to learn from you.  And if anyone wants to follow me, my handle (is that what you call it?) is @allisone_mft.

2 comments:

Sherry Ellsworth said...

Um. I set an account up once. And have never used it. Good luck.

Unknown said...

Jill Adair, she does it all the time and follows some interesting people. Call her