Today is my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary. They are my heroes. As a young child I would race home from the school bus and speed through my daily chores so that I could go next door to Grandma and Grandpa's house. I remember watching Suns games at their house (and eating popcorn, cookies and milkshakes), watching John Wayne movies with Grandpa, Grandma saving stamps for me and putting them in a special container in the desk, making chocolate frosting to put on graham crackers. I remember a lot of delicious foods.
I remember the yearly nativity pageant and working on costumes with Grandma. I remember when I would check my email at their house. I remember monthly family home evening lessons. I remember kisses from Grandma. I remember my grandpa telling me, "You are loved". I remember that Emily and I selected them as our guests when the Young Womens hosted a Hero Appreciation Night. I learned to whistle standing outside their kitchen window. Mom had felt like us kids took advantage of them and spent too much time at their house, so she instigated the rule that we couldn't go inside unless they invited us in. And I was so confident that they loved me and loved having me around, that I figured that if I could get their attention, that they would invite me in. So I learned to whistle to get their attention.
I still have letters and cards they sent from their missions. I often pull out their life stories and read about their childhoods, their courtship, their family life and their service and testimonies. I love reading the letter my grandpa sent to my grandma. I remember him telling me how much he loves my grandma. I can see how much they care for each other.
I'm grateful for the good grandparents that I have. And I am grateful for their examples of faith, obedience, work, love, service, and devotion to family. I am grateful for the name that they left me and what it means to me because of who they are. I am grateful for their example of a marriage that lasts. 60 years down, all eternity to go. I hope that I canbe like them when I grow up.

3 comments:
Dear Allison, Thank you for the phone call and the beautify tribute you gave us on the blog. My computer is broken so we are invited to your folks house to read it. We love you very much and grateful or al the years were were blessed to have you live next door.
Grandma & Grandpa
"Like"
"Love"
Post a Comment