Tuesday, August 24, 2010

More than slightly stressed

I was thinking about my upcoming semester. And I realized that thinking about it is kinda stressful. Gaston knew what he was talking about when he labeled thinking "a dangerous past-time". Anyway, here are some of the thoughts:

Approximated weekly demands on time during Fall 2010:

Teaching 240: 10+ hours
Coding job: 10 hours
In-class time: 10 hours
Clients: 15 hours
Thesis: 10 hours
Homework: 10+ hours

These are all very conservative estimates. So, best case scenario, I have about 65 hours of commitments each week. Which means that, if I'm lucky, and worked 6 days a week, I would have close to 11 hours of work each day. If I tried to protect my Saturdays that goes up to 13 hours. This doesn't account for meal times, commute time (it takes about 25 minutes each way to walk between my house and the JFSB/JKB), study breaks, etc. So really, its probably going to be more than that. That's a lot of time. Once I add in getting ready for the day, sleeping, and all that goodness...well...its going to be intense.

So I've been trying to figure out where I can cut back and where I can lower my expectation of "good enough" and be content with mediocrity. But the places I feel that I could cut back a little I don't want to. And the places I wouldn't mind cutting back I feel I shouldn't. Oh, and I have a few other papers and projects to work on, and I'm presenting a poster presentation at the AAMFT national conference, and I need to work on applications for PhD programs this semester too...and defend my thesis prospectus (after I write it).

Or in other words, I have more to do than is humanly possible, but I refuse to give any of it up. I feel as though I'm caught in a monkey trap. Which reminds me of the time (well...two times) that I got a ceramic fish head jar stuck on my hand. But that doesn't relate to the analogy. Anyway, I have too much to do and don't know what to get rid of and don't want to get rid of anything. I bet Rafiki would never get stuck in a monkey trap. Or maybe he'd just break it with his stick.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

You are going to be one busy woman! It stresses me out just reading all that. I wish you good luck this semester and that you'll be able to to everything you need/want to do! But I know you'll be able to.

Valerie said...

I think the walks to and from campus will be very valuable unwinding time for you. Enjoy them. And just do your best (meaning what is humanly possible for you to do). You're awesome.