Friday, December 7, 2007

Home again

Things don't always work out the way you expect them too. I didn't expect to come home from India on the 4th of December. But I did. I anticipated a week and a half in McCleod, but ended up with closer to a half a week. It was hard for me to let go of the tail end of my India trip, but it was for the best.

Before I talk about leaving, I'll talk about living. McCleod was beautiful. I love the mountains. I always have. And I love smaller places where it is safe to venture off and explore. One afternoon I went for a walk and a monk showed me the entrance to a trail that circumambulates the Tsuglagkhang complex. It was absolutely gorgeous! The Himalayan mountains were visible amidst the pine trees strung with colored prayer flags. I walked the kora (the name for the walk) 3 or 4 times during my short stay in McCleod and loved it. It was so peaceful and it was inspiring to see faithful Buddhists walk reverantly, and to see them spin the numerous prayer scrolls at the Dalai Lama temple.

But McCleod wasn't just a paradise in the clouds. It was also a haven for backpackers and tourists, which was a bit of a turn off. While I enjoyed the experience of having someone offer to see me drugs, and while it was handy to have such commodities as toilet paper, gatorade and snickers bars available, I missed feeling immersed in India.

Another highlight of McCleod was visiting a museum which chronicled the recent history of Tibet and housed accounts of many who escaped Tibet and come to India, often at great personal risk and sacrifice. It was sad and fascinating. I also enjoyed watching the movie Hairspray in a dark basement theatre in town.

I had initially anticipated a long stay in McCleod Ganj, and had plans not changed I probably would have ended up taking Tibetan cooking lessons and getting my ears pierced, and homework done, among other things. But, plans changed. Unfortunately, 4 of the 7 in our group ended up ill with amoebic dysentary and were quite miserable, and several were homesick and ready to be home to their families. So, inquiries were made and a few phone calls and miracles later, our entire group had flights home for within the week. The next day we were on an afternoon taxi to Delhi.

Delhi was a fun stop. Cultural stops included the Baha'i temple and a famous, historic mosque. I decided that if I weren't Christian, I would be Baha'i. Allegedly their temple in Delhi is the third most visited tourist site in the world. It is beautiful. It is shaped like a giant lotus and has nine entrances at its nine sides to symbolize its openness and invitation for all people. It stresses peace and unity and there are a lot of principles that correspond with the teachings of the restored gospel. I really enjoyed talking with two of thier missionaries, Justin and Samir.

The mosque was also an enjoyable visit, but because I was unable to find an English speaker to speak with and ask questions to, I still feel dismally ignorant about the beliefs and practices of the Islamic faith. But it was a beautiful peaceful place.

Delhi was also a site of last minute shopping on Main Bazaar Road, and the girls all got . Oh, and on Sunday we attended church at one of the branches there, and that was wonderful. It was so fabulous to being in the presence of the saints and to sing hymns and be together. I even saw a familiar face, a sister I had met in the Coimbatore Branch months ago. I loved it.

The flight home went well. The 15 hour flight from New Delhi to Chicago went quickly. The 6 hour layover passed by with ease. And the last leg of the journey, the flight to Salt Lake went well as well.

It was nice to be back in Provo and I love being among family and friends. And now, finally, I am home in Arizona. Today I went Matta's for lunch with my parents and grandparents and life is good. Today marks the day I would have gotten home to America had we not left India early. Part of me wishes I hadn't had to leave early, but I acknowledge that it was for the good of the group, so all is well. So I'm home and happy and India is a beautiful dream world that is hard to believe was once my reality. I will always love it. To conclude my India writings, I'll write the words of a poem that I learned and memorized in my 8th grade American History class. I had these words go through my mind many a-time as I was homeward bound:

******

Tis find to see the old world and travel up and down
And see the famous palaces and cities of reknown
To see the crumbling castles, and statues of the kings
But now I think I've had enough of these antiquated things

So home again, home again, America for me
My heart is turning home again, where I long to be
In the land of youth and freedom, beyond the ocean bars
Where the air is full of sunlight, and the flag is full of stars.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Hey Allison! It's been so fun reading about all your adventures abroad--you write about it in such an interesting and captivating way! I'm excited to hear more over Christmas break in Mesa! (P.S. I'm glad you're home safe too!)

Ashley Seil Smith said...

that's a great poem. it IS good to be home. But I also love India dearly, I left with a bitter taste in my mouth because of the whole dysentery thing =) but I do love it. Our friend Sanjeev that we met on a train ride called Nate two days ago. He made us promise him we would call back on Christmas. A flood of memories came over me and I was so happy, just happy with India, and remember the friends we made.

Anna said...

You can't believe how jealous I am of your adventure. I really am so proud of you and I think you should publish your writings. I think I want a hard copy of your experiences. I love you allison you are wonderful human being. I can't think of anyone more perfect to go on such an expedition. I suppose I wouldn't appreciate it and document it as well as you. So I'll just live it vicariously through you! Welcome Back!!